There is no greater hope in human life than survival. At the same time, it is important to live well. With that in mind, every content on the website is written so that a person can get all the information from here to start his life to make beautifully.
According to that, Health is one of the topics. It is also a part of life. Proverb said, Health is wealth. Read carefully Details of Health related article
What are its benefits and side effects?
The beauty world seems overwhelmed by claims of miraculous results of using a derma roller for skincare at home. We gave it a try to see if it delivers!
Most of us squirm at the thought of needles pricking into our skin and especially when it comes to our face. But the beauty world seems taken over by claims of miraculous results of using a derma roller at home to beat the effects of ageing.
These fancy-looking prickly devices are all over the internet where it is available from igh cost varieties to dirt-cheap versions too. While you must have heard major claims like fine lines, acne scars, and hyperpigmentation are all said to be diminished with regular derma rolling, we gave it a shot. But before we share our experience, first let us tell you a little about what a derma roller or derma needling is all about!
What is a derma roller or derma needling?
Derma needling involves puncturing the skin topically with the help of tiny needles. This process dates to centuries ago where acupuncturists in China used to perform it to achieve youthful skin. I mean who doesn’t daydream about beautiful skin, right?
Dr. Sejal Saheta, Dermatologist, Inurskn, spoke to HealthShots about the effectiveness of a derma roller and what they do to your skin. “Derma rollers are used to carry out a process called micro-needling. The controlled injury caused to the treatment area during micro-needling helps in improving the appearance of our skin”, says Dr. Saheta
How do derma rollers work?
A derma roller is loaded with microneedles that when rolled onto our facial skin in a controlled motion, create micro-injuries on the skin. This may sound frightening, but it claims to overdrive the collagen and elastin production in our skin to heal the micro-injuries. This, in turn, leaves our skin tighter and youthful than it was before.
On the efficacy of derma rolling, Dr Saheta says, “The process of derma rolling helps in two ways. One, it improves the synthesis of collagen, which is the protein that gives your skin its stiffness and elasticity. And two, it leads to a process of neovascularization, which improves the blood flow in your skin making it healthier and youthful. Lastly, when done in a targeted manner along with certain growth factor serums it can help with a substantial reduction in scars and improve the texture of the skin.”
The thought of getting the skin of my dreams made me buy a derma roller pen from one of the leading beauty stores in India, and I got down to using it.
The journey of derma rolling started shakily. I gathered information on how to use it at home via online videos. Here are the steps that I followed while using a derma roller:
- I cleansed my skin with a foam-based mild cleanser and made sure my derma roller tool is clean too.
- Once done with the cleansing part, I started gliding the derma roller on my face starting from my forehead to cheeks and proceeding to chin and nose.
- I made sure to keep a light and stable hand and put minimal or no pressure on my skin
- Excluding areas around the eyes, I glided the derma roller on my face for around 2-3 minutes.
- I experienced some redness on my face right after the process which was normal.
- I applied a hyaluronic serum, followed by a moisturiser before dozing off.
- At first, keeping up with the routine and taking out time to use a derma roller consistently was a struggle but I held on to my wish to achieve positive results on my skin.
- A week passed by, and I couldn’t find a trace of youthfulness on my skin.
- Other than the instant pink flush on my skin (which was probably due to the needle abrasion), I did not feel any plumpness or skin tightening effects on my skin. For me, this ruled out the miraculous claims of beauty influencers about derma rolling and its effectiveness.
- Following the extended skincare regime was also becoming a strenuous project to keep up with.
- I gave up on derma rolling and decided to bounce back to my basic minimal skincare regime. I accepted the skin I have along with its imperfections.
Risks of using a derma roller
Doing micro-needling at home may not be your best idea.
Dr Saheta says, “Derma roller, when used at home, is neither effective nor safe.” Why you may ask.
- Derma rollers that are available in the market don’t have the possibility of going deep enough.
- From a safety point of view, one must consider that a medical clinic has a sterilized environment and is equipped with medications and equipment to handle any untoward outcome.
- Lastly, carrying out a microneedling process without understanding the anatomy of the face can lead to long-lasting injuries.
The last words
I don’t know if I’ll try a professional derma needling session by a skin expert. But, being aware of the risks of derma rolling at home has made me drop it out of my skincare regime for good. If you’ve been thinking about investing in a derma roller or trying out this raved-about procedure, getting it done professionally in a controlled setup should be the safest solution.
Did you like this article?
Share it on any of the following social media channels below to give us your vote. Your feedback helps us improve.
Other related Health ideas you might enjoy